Provost hopeful knows NIU

By Melissa Westphal

Provost candidate John Dunn thinks NIU has great potential. Proof, he says, came from his time spent at the university in the 1960s.

“Northern did for me what any great institution should do for its students,” Dunn said Wednesday night. “It provided me with a quality education, helped me learn the insides and outsides of college, was accepting and supportive. And I had some great teachers.”

Dunn is the second visitor of four finalists for the job of executive vice president and provost at NIU, a position held for about 18 months by Lynne Waldeland after the retirement of J. Carroll Moody. William Wehrenberg, dean of the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences at Clemson University, visited NIU last week, and two more candidates are scheduled for visits next week.

The provost is considered NIU’s “inside” president, handling day-to-day operations for the university.

A former resident of Pinckneyville, Ill., the 55-year-old Dunn earned his bachelor and master’s degrees in physical education at NIU during 1967 and ’69, respectively. He said his 20 years at Oregon State University, where he worked as a professor, dean and provost, helped him see the importance of location, which he stresses when he talks about NIU.

“NIU has a rich history,” said Dunn, who currently serves as dean of the College of Health at the University of Utah. “Its location is very attractive, and the people here are extremely intelligent about making decisions.”

Just after the provost finalist announcement, Dunn said his interest in physical education focused on sports medicine and working with disabled children.

“I developed that interest while I was at NIU,” Dunn said. “Along with the outstanding program in special education, I started to volunteer with kids who had disabilities and I found it was something that intrigued me … everyone has to find their passion.”

With the addition of President John Peters to the NIU crew last year, Dunn is excited that the campus still has a new feel to it.

“The leadership here is tremendous,” Dunn said. “There’s this raw energy mixed with people who have weathered the years and been involved in the campus development. People need attention, time, commitment, communication and clarification. The university leaders are the ones to provide that atmosphere.”

Arriving before a scheduled dinner with Peters and other university vice presidents Wednesday night, Dunn was eager to start his day today. His wife Linda and soon-to-be 16-year-old daughter Kerry stayed at home in Salt Lake City. Dunn also has two sons, 27-year-old Matthew and 24-year-old Michael.

“It’s my purpose to engage with people on campus, talking, assessing and executing my communication here,” he said. “I’ll get a better feel for the fabric of the university, the level of civility. I’m looking for one that cares about people, a campus that’s friendly where people aren’t afraid to talk to each other. I want people to know that there are many places where you can engage in education, inside and outside of the classroom.”

Patricia Hanna, dean of the College Humanities at the University of Utah, will visit NIU on Monday. J. Ivan Legg, University of Memphis provost, arrives next Thursday.