FOCUS conference explores communication opportunities

By Wendy Arquilla

Students interested in what the different careers in the area of communications offer have an opportunity to find out more.

The Communication Student Advisory Council (COMSAC) is sponsoring the FOCUS conference, which stands for future opportunities for communication undergraduate students.

The conference will run today from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Newman Center, 512 Normal Road.

COMSAC member Cheryl Gaynor said the organization brings in successful communication professionals for a daylong conference.

She said all of the professionals are graduates from NIU’s communications program.

There will be four panels throughout the day. The internal communication panel starts at 9:30 a.m., the public relations panel starts at 10:45 a.m., the media panel starts at 1 p.m. and the sales panel starts at 2:15 p.m.

COMSAC President Stephanie Rapach said participants will learn about the resume and interview process in finding a job as well as what communication jobs involve.

“The conference is geared toward upperclassmen, who also have the opportunity to network at FOCUS,” Rapach said. She said bringing a resume is optional but suggests that participants dress professionally.

Ellen Bonaguro, a communication professor and faculty adviser for COMSAC, said the communications department has held a FOCUS conference for the past four years, and COMSAC has been involved for the past two years.

Gaynor, who participated in the FOCUS program last year, said, “It’s a really good opportunity for the communication field to learn what kinds of careers are available for them.”

“The FOCUS program helps students direct their career choices and teaches what they need to do to enter the chosen field, such as internships,” she said.