Foreman’s death stuns co-workers

By Nicholas Utech

Friends and co-workers are mourning the untimely death of NIU employee Victor Bakanas, 56, a foreman for Building Services at the Holmes Student Center.

Bakanas suffered a heart attack on New Year’s Eve, but didn’t realize it until after seeing a doctor, said student center director Judd Baker. Shortly afterward, he had a stroke, and died Wednesday at St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford. He is survived by a wife and daughter.

Bakanas, who worked on campus for 20 years, had won the NIU Civil Service Award and was a former soldier in the Navy.

“Victor was a very colorful individual, a really nice person,” Baker said. “I’ve worked with him for 12 years and during that amount of time you attach a certain bond with someone. It’s a big loss for me and everyone, both personally and professionally.

“I think most people would say he was a fun person to be around,” Baker said. “He always told jokes when you were around him. I always had fun with Vic.”

Co-workers were stunned by his death, which came unexpectedly.

“There was no indication this would happen,” Baker said. “I just thought he wouldn’t come back to work. I never expected this.”

Baker said it won’t be the same without Bakanas.

“I can cope with an employee leaving for other jobs or for health concerns, but when they leave you for good, it’s really hard,” he said. “… He was a hard-working person who enjoyed life. It was a sad day for the entire Holmes Student Center. He’s going to be missed.”

Baker said co-workers and friends will be there for Bakanas’ family, who declined to speak to the newspaper Thursday.

“When you have a staff, it’s like a family,” he said. “It’s difficult to lose a person like this.”

Visitation is from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Cooper-Quiram Funeral Home, 202 E. Main St., Genoa. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at First Lutheran Church in Kirkland.