Retreat aims for feedback on college race issues

By Kelly Cushing

FBI statistics still point to race as the most frequent motive for hate crimes, and students at many universities, including NIU, are taking steps to understand this issue.

The Counseling and Student Development Center, located at the Campus Life Building, Suite 200, has designed a program to help students get a first-hand look at the topic. “Dialogue on Race” sends an interracial group of 40 students on an annual weekend retreat to the Lorado Taft campus March 30 and 31.

The field classroom in Oregon, Ill., along with structured activities, is designed to promote dialogue. Rebecca Weisenthal, senior staff psychologist for the Counseling and Student Development Center, is hopeful about the retreat and encourages students to participate.

“The weekend is an exciting opportunity to gain leadership skills on an important campus issue and to enhance the climate for all NIU students,” she said.

Weisenthal has talked to previous participants and said students gained positive feedback from the experience.

“After talking to the students about the retreat,” Weisenthal said, “some of the comments they have made were that they learned a lot about other people’s points of view. The students also surprisingly said that they wished it would have been longer and that they strongly recommend it for other students to experience.”

Patty Argiris, a junior business management major, is not planning on attending the retreat, but said it could be beneficial for those who do go.

“One weekend spent discussing racial issues won’t completely stop racial prejudice, but it will definitely bring awareness to this important issue,” Argiris said. “Seeing as our campus is so diverse, I think it will definitely help students.”