SA Senate addresses ‘bar bus,’ ISA issues

By Philip Dalton

The Student Association Senate had a calm and productive meeting Sunday night and cleared up many issues.

The SA received an apology from Kristen Sohacki, an employee of the Campus Activities Board. The apology was for approving the flier for the band the Festering Rinyanyons, which featured a clothed man and a naked woman in bed together.

The Senate also approved another nomination to the SA Supreme Court. Colleen Halliman was nominated by SA President Paul Middleton. She spoke in front of the SA Sunday for approval to the court.

SA Mass Transit Adviser Mikki Anderson spoke of the “bar bus” idea, which would entail a bus running a route on Friday and Saturday from Greek Row to Lincoln Highway where some bars are located. The idea was nixed because of unforeseen costs to the SAMTB.

Anderson said the board will need to provide shelter for individuals at the new turnaround point which will be near the Founders Memorial Library on Carroll Avenue and the “bar bus” project will absorb any available funds.

Anderson said she will be concentrating the rest of the year on adapting the bus routes to the problems caused by the Lucinda project. The project will take approximately two and one-half years. Lucinda Avenue will be ripped up from Annie Glidden Road to Normal Road and will be made into a one-way route temporarily.

Middleton’s report mentioned a possible student referendum which would remove one dollar from student fees. This dollar currently goes to fund the Illinois Student Association. NIU is one of 12 universities in the organization. The ISA serves as a lobbyist group for higher education interests in Illinois.

Sen. Julie Gentis researched the matter for the SA and said since the University of Illinois dropped out of the ISA it has been short of money. She said it is underfunded and has no full-time staff. NIU provides around $22,000 to $26,000 per year in fees to the ISA.

In other business, SA Recycling Adviser Laura Martin said the recycling committee plans to send a student group to nearby elementary schools to talk to students about environmental topics.

Budgets passed by the SA included the Fencing Club, the Alpha Friends of Antiquity, the Gay/Lesbian Union and the Forensics team. The budgets passed with relatively little discussion.