“Psychedelic Mindview” class offered for spring

By Wendy Arquilla

The Educational Psychology, Counseling and Special Education Department at NIU is offering students a different way to view the human mind.

A class called “Psychedelic Mindview” is being offered from 11 a.m. to 12:14 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays this spring semester. Deadline to register for the class is Friday.

The class will explore the view of the human mind derived from psychedelic research and the implications of psychedelics on learning, mental health, human development and related fields.

“The theme of the class is that psychedelics is an amplifier of the human cognitive mind and the class explores that theme through the arts, religion, philosophy, self-exploration and intellectual development,” said Thomas Roberts, instructor of the class and professor in educational psychology.

He said he has been teaching this type of class for 15 years, and it’s the only class of its kind taught at a major university.

“I have specialized my study to altered states of consciousness of the human mind not only with psychedelics, but with other forms of alteration such as yoga and martial arts,” Roberts said.

He said the classwork will include specific readings, class presentations and a final term paper and presentation on a topic related to the class.

“Students will learn not only the effects of psychedelics on human nature but also the effect they have had on our culture, especially in the 1960’s,” Roberts said.

However, he said the class does not promote drug use.

Roberts said the differences in students’ background make the class discussions more interesting.

“In the past, I’ve gotten students who are just attracted to the class because they think psychedelics like LSD are great,” he said. “But I also get students who think all drugs are wrong.”

He said these two extreme views usually become moderate when students learn both the dangers and benefits of psychedelics. “I can tell they actually learned something from the class by the way their views change.”

The class is open to all majors as well as graduate and undergraduate students for credit. No prerequisites are required to enroll in the class.