University addresses fall semester classes

Classes to be taught online and in person

Patrick Murphy

The NIU Huskie Pride Statue and Holmes Student Center are recognizable landmarks to help new students find their way around campus.

By Ahyen Labanan

DeKALB — Fall semester classes may be taught in-person, online or a combination of the two methods of instruction as the university issued a statement regarding what Fall 2020 will look like amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Housing and Residential Services, Campus Dining, Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, NIU’s Northwestern Medicine Health Center and other university officials are working to plan fall semester operations, according to an email sent to students May 19 by Beth Ingram, executive vice president and provost. 

Information regarding classes or schedule changes will be provided to students in the coming weeks, according to the email. 

Students can speak with their advisors after receiving information about their classes to understand their options and make changes. 

According to the email, in-person classes will be smaller and will be scheduled for social distancing and sanitation. 

NIU is also planning to provide students planning to live on campus with their own individual rooms for the academic year. The university is working to place students planning on living with a roommate on the same floor. Information regarding pricing, hall selections, dining and student fees will be sent to students the week of June 22, according to the email. 

Visit the Housing website for answers to FAQs or contact Housing and Residential Services at [email protected] for more information.