Week’s events to alert campus about violence

By Matt Gronlund

NIU students worried about violence on campus should come out and celebrate “Anti-Violence Week.”

The Student Association has organized an “Anti-Violence Week” from Tuesday through Thursday. The theme of the week is “Stop the Violence” and everyone is welcome to participate.

SA Campus Welfare Adviser Sylvia Cerrato said the goal of the week is to open students’ eyes to campus violence.

“We felt that if we make students more aware of crime on campus it might help to prevent crime on campus,” she said.

“Dead Day,” the first event, runs on Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the King Memorial Commons. Throughout the day, Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) will be giving out black ribbons which symbolize the death of someone killed in a drunk driving accident, Cerrato said.

Students passing through the commons will be stopped, given a ribbon and told about someone who died, she said.

“Take Back the Night” will run on Wednesday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The event highlights a candlelight vigil walk from the commons to the Office of Campus Recreation.

A question and answer session and a self-defense demonstration at the OCR will follow the vigil walk. Students also will be able to receive information on sexual assault and purchase a mace-like substance from Alpha Phi sorority.

The final event, an anti-violence rally, will be held on Thursday from noon until 1 p.m. in the commons.

Cerrato said students and members of NIU’s administration will speak at the rally. “We really want to get people to come and air their concerns about violence on campus,” Cerrato said.

GAMMA, the OCR, the Sexual Assault Task Force and Students Organized Against Rape are sponsoring the week along with the SA.