Huskies drop third straight non-conference game

Tyler Cochran did not travel with team due to COVID-19 concerns

Jarrett Huff

FILE – guard Trendon Hankerson surveys the floor Feb. 1, 2020 during NIU’s 70-55 win over Miami University–Ohio at the Convocation Center. Hankerson had a season-high 18 points Dec. 5, in the loss to Pittsburg.

By Kyle Mathas

DeKalb — The men’s basketball team fell Saturday for their third straight loss, this time against the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. 

The Huskies were no match against the Panthers, losing by 30 points and giving the Panthers their first win of the season. The Huskies never had the lead in the game, only tying the Panthers at seven early in the first half. Sophomore guard Tyler Cochran did not travel with the Huskies to Pittsburgh due to COVID-19 contact tracing.

The Huskies shot 37% from the field and 39% from the 3-point line. The Huskies were led by junior guard Trendon Hankerson, who had a season-high 18 points in the game. Junior guard Darius Beane was next up for the Huskies with 11 points.

Pittsburgh was led by sophomore forward Justin Champagnie, who had 22 points, while sophomore guard Ithiel Horton, junior guard Au’diese Toney and junior guard Xavier Johnson all had 15 points. 

The Huskies are now winless with three losses heading into their match against the third-ranked team in the country, the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. Also, they will be playing two more non-conference games before they start playing Mid-American Conference games. 

The Huskies will play the Ball State University Cardinals Tuesday in DeKalb. Ball State has one win against the University of Illinois–Chicago and two losses. Tip-off is 6 p.m. at the NIU Convocation Center and will be broadcasted on ESPN3.