1992 Multi-Cultural Night Show‘ planned

By Rich Bruen

NIU students will have the opportunity Monday to enjoy a night of entertainment while getting a taste of other cultures.

The NIU International Relations Club (IRC), in conjunction with University Programming and Activities, will be holding its “1992 Multi-Cultural Night Show” from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center.

IRC President Kumar Krishnamurthy said the evening’s entertainment will consist of several shows.

Features will include a string quartet from Finland, two dances from Germany and China, two fashion shows from India and Pakistan, a Latin dance from South America and the Caribbean steel drums of Nevil York.

The IRC is an umbrella organization for all international student associations on campus, including the Chinese Student Association, South Asian Student Association and the Norwegian Student Association.

According to a press release, the IRC’s goal is to “promote cross-cultural awareness among DeKalb and the NIU community.” Krishnamurthy said this goal is the motivating force behind the show.

“Our goal (on culture night) is to help international students adjust to American culture and to help the DeKalb community become aware of different cultures,” he said.

All students, faculty members and DeKalb residents are invited to attend the free show, Krishnamurthy said.