NIU food service offers something for everyone

By Amy Callaghan

The NIU residence hall food service offers something for everyone.

One reason students like the food at the residence halls is because of the variety. At lunch and dinner, there are “two or three entrees offered, vegetables, fresh fruit, canned fruit, salad bar, a variety of beverages and dessert,” said Ralph Chaplin, residence hall food service director.

In addition, he said Lincoln Hall offers a different meal plan in which residents are on a point system and can choose whatever food items they want, including sandwiches, steak and ice cream.

Chaplin said although the system works well, there is not an additional student demand for this type of setup past the one hall.

Chaplin said the food service hasn’t been affected by budget cuts at NIU. He said the real challenge is trying to construct menus that will appeal to everyone because of the different tastes every student has.

“The food is decent, but the combinations of entrees need to be better,” said residence hall resident Justin Longtin. For example, he said turkey, dressing and mashed potatoes might be on the menu, but egg rolls will be the other entree offered.

Chaplin said food service also has to take into account how the food is prepared. He said that turkey is a popular item, so the entire oven may be used. Egg rolls, on the other hand, can be deep fried, he said.

If students are dissatisfied with the food, there are things they can do about it. Chaplin said there is a taste kitchen in Douglas Hall that students can participate in, where they meet with the food service management and can give recipes to management. In addition, surveys are handed out every fall.

Chaplin said this year’s surveys will be out around the end of October. He said any general constructive criticism is taken seriously.