Multicultural Career Fair draws potential employers

By Gloria Carr

As job searches intensify for many NIU students, the Department of Educational Services and Programs is sponsoring a Multicultural Career Fair tomorrow, with over 40 potential employers attending.

The career fair is from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Regency Room in the Holmes Student Center and is open to all students.

This year, the number of companies participating doubled, according to NseAbasi Ekpo, director of ACCESS/Student Support Services.

About 44 companies will be represented this year, up from 20 companies last year, he said.

“It is growing every year,” Ekpo said. “One thing very noticeable is it is becoming more popular every year.”

Companies such as Amoco Corp., Inroads, NCR Corp. and McGraw Hill will be attending. In addition, representatives from the DeKalb, Aurora and Sycamore school districts will be on hand, as well as representatives from Northwestern Hospital and the University of Illinois at Chicago Hospital/Clinic.

Company representatives are looking for quality students, said coordinator Gloria Walton, career counselor for ACCESS/Student Support Services.

“They are excited and interested in coming,” she said. “They are looking forward to interviewing NIU students, and NIU is known for having top quality students.”

According to a 1992 Training Magazine article, the major job force by the year 2000 will be women and minorities, Walton said.

“Being that the work force is changing, what companies are doing is competing to get the best students,” she said.

This year’s goal is to provide a variety of employers to attract many majors.

“The companies that are coming are very diversified,” Ekpo said.

Employers attending the fair will be seeking accounting, art, biology, communications, computer science, economics, management, marketing, sociology, journalism, fashion merchandising and medical technology majors.

Walton said students should dress professionally, bring lots of resumes and be prepared for spot interviews.