New OCR project leaves IU students climbing wall

By Stacy Goldman

Climbing around is no longer just for kids.

The Office of Campus Recreation soon will have a simulated rock climbing wall.

Juliette Moore, director of the Office of Campus Recreation, said the Board of Regents recently approved $167,000 in bond revenue funds for the construction of a rock climbing wall in the center.

Moore said the start date for construction is still undetermined.

The wall will be placed in racquetball court #4, and will be available to students for about 14 hours every day, she said.

Moore said the wall will give students the opportunity to try out a new recreational program.

“A variety of other topics can be addressed through rock climbing programs,” she said. “Included in these topics are climbing/mountaineering skills, stress management, leadership and development of self-confidence, as well as others.”

The OCR learned about the program through other universities, she said.

“Climbing walls are currently being employed for instructional, physical fitness and recreational purposes at many universities across the country,” Moore said.

“In the future we hope to have rock climbing competitions and planned trips for those who want to get involved.”

A recent study conducted by Illinois State University’s Outdoor Program found rock climbing walls part of the recreational program of 23 universities in the United States.

Recreational climbing on specially-designed walls began growing in popularity during 1988. The walls were an effective way to develop enjoyment, skills and conditioning similar to outdoor rock climbing, Moore said.