OCR offers class on horse riding, management

By Wendy Arquilla

Anyone who watched the summer Olympic games may have become interested in learning more about equestrian sporting events.

The Office of Campus Recreation is offering a chance for those interested to get more familiar with horse management and riding.

According to Ashley Swede, outdoor coordinator at the OCR, “in the past, the OCR hasn’t really offered any equestrian classes that taught participants about management of horses,” he said.

Swede said that trainer Lisa Fuchs, who has had 12 years of equestrian teaching experience, approached the OCR about teaching a different, more informative type of class.

He said Fuchs and the OCR coordinators spent nine months designing a new program. The program will devote 30 minutes to horse safety, riding positions, grooming and stable care. Participants are then allotted 45 minutes for actual riding time, using techniques taught earlier.

Swede said that every skill level will be challenged, from people who have never been around horses to those with equestrian experience.

Fuchs also will offer students the opportunity to study both western and English riding styles for those students who want to further their equestrian abilities. Students should talk to Fuchs themselves after their lesson, Swede said.

The class is available on Sept. 26, Oct. 3, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, from noon to 2 p.m. at Blue Fox Farms in Malta. There is a $10 fee and a limit of 10 students for each class.

Swede said that compared to rates for independent lessons, which can run up to $60 an hour, the class offered by OCR is an unbelievable deal.

Interested students can sign up at the Outing Center, located on the west side of the OCR or call the center at 753-9423.