SA can make difference, but it starts with your vote

Mr. Shipley, yesterday you laid out an argument. Basically, you said that students “are more incompetent and idiotic than the NIU administration.” Why? Because 11.4 percent (30 or 40) students cast invalid ballots. Then you say “not bad for a university with a population of 25,000 students.” Then you do a nice job of pointing out a fact that this is an excellent example of student apathy. Except, Mr. Shipley, you later make a rather sweeping conclusion. You say “What’s the percent of idiots on campus? Could it be roughly 100 percent of the 25,000 students?” Actually 30-40 students are roughly .0014 percent of our student body. Actually, this .0014 represents a sector of students who are not apathetic. Maybe the ballots are a little complicated. Certainly we would need a senate to change it and in defense of those 11.4 percent, let’s remember that they are not part of the apathetic population, they at least voted! Unfortunately, you indicate that you are still making your choice. Really? Would that make you apathetic? We have several reasons why we applaud the efforts of everyone who voted, even the 11.4 percent.

However, it is our hope that even more students will come out and vote Wednesday and Thursday. The Student Senate is an integral part of the Student Association and the body that distributes over one million dollars in student fees to respective organizations on campus. Without well-rounded student representation on the Senate, some organizations and student groups’ needs will not be fairly represented. It is the responsibility of all students to vote in this election because it is your money that is being allocated. In addition to distributing money to organizations on campus, the Senate also funds the Huskie Bus System, the Recreation Center, recycling done on campus and in the residence halls and Students’ Legal Services. When you vote, you are choosing students to express your views in how these programs will be funded.

Consider these questions before you decide whether to spend the extra two minutes in your day to vote or not: Are you frustrated with the lack of parking on campus? Do you feel that it is fair for the State of Illinois to increase tuition while at the same time decrease financial aid? Does the prospect of graduating in five years or more appeal to you? Contrary to popular opinion, we can and do have an influence on policies implemented by the administration and the legislature. However, this can only be achieved with the help of everyone. Do you want to make a difference? It starts with a simple vote.