SA executives set goals for upcoming year

By Philip Dalton

Although SA senate elections have not yet been held, SA executives and advisers have been hard at work and have already hammered out seven goals for the 1992-93 school year.

The SA executives have established seven goals they would like to see accomplished this year.

The first goal is to instill a sense of professionalism in the senate.

Anna Bicanic, SA public relations adviser, said this is a goal the SA needs to achieve. “In the past, things didn’t get done. There were closed-door meetings which excluded members, and senate meetings were run haphazardly,” she said.

SA Vice President Anastasia Criscione said they would like to reach this objective by encouraging a dress code. She said this might help them feel as if they are part of a cohesive group and hopefully will create a positive attitude.

The SA’s second goal is to revitalize the channels of communication among student organizations. Bicanic said part of the SA’s job is to help recruit members for groups and to help aid them. She said she would like to see organizations work more closely with each other and the senate through the use of ideas such as co-programming.

The third goal established for this year is to promote preventative measures for the safety of the NIU community. According to Criscione, accomplishing this goal would mean increasing lighting and parking.

“The SA is also concerned with accessibility for the handicapped in new structures being planned such as the parking garage and the Campus Life Building,” she said.

The SA’s fourth goal is to generate political concern and participation. To accomplish this, the SA hired DeKalb 7th Ward Ald. Jordan Kagan for the position of voter registration commissioner. Criscione said the SA would like to deputize about 20 people to help register students on campus. “We would like to see everybody registered and involved in this year’s process,” Bicanic added.

The fifth goal is to enhance the productivity of the senate. Criscione said, “productivity stems from how well you work together.”

Bicanic said they would like to begin working on this goal right away by offering a more comprehensive orientation and increase personal interactions between the senators.

The SA’s sixth goal involves encouraging non-traditional/commuter student involvement. Criscione said these people are of great concern to the SA, as well as the administration.

According to Bicanic, these people feel as if they’ve been ignored and the SA would like to encourage campus organizations to incorporate more non-traditional students.

The seventh goal the SA has established is fostering an environment conducive to multi-cultural understanding.

Bicanic said one of the plans the SA has made to help achieve this goal is to officially recognize individuals who the SA feels have helped the university move forward in this area.