SGA candidate profile: Devlin Collins

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Collins is running for the president position in the executive branch.

Name: Devlin Collins

Year in School: Junior/third-year undergraduate

Major: Nonprofit and NGO Studies

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Why do you want to be part of SGA?

I want to be a part of SGA as President in order to better serve my community and the students at NIU. I’ve been involved with the SGA for three years now, and I’ve seen this organization breed leaders and community advocates of all kinds. The SGA serves as the one body that holds the power to make a visible change at NIU, and I want this campus to feel more like a home to the students.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

I hope to be able to find common ground with the university on certain issues, mainly improving the social atmosphere for students of minority or underrepresented communities, and affordability on institution resources. I’d also like to reorganize the SGA to serve as a dedicated body to seek out and address student concerns with the university. I want the students and student organizations to be able to express themselves and their concerns, and not feel like they are being sidelined.

Why should students vote for you?

Students should vote for whomever they choose, and I invite them to express what they want to see out of the organization. My intent is to govern on the values of equality and cooperation in order to see progress. With a capable staff, we will be sure to act in the best interest of our communities when putting on events and aiding students.

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement?

I believe NIU’s biggest area of improvement will be academic help and resources. I think, although there have been efforts to curve the impact virtual learning has had on the curriculum, other accommodations will be necessary. I believe this is a concern that has been expressed year-round, for various reasons, and moving forward there should be a plan to implement refined remote tutoring services.

The student body should care about the student government for the same reason I do: ‘Closed mouths don’t get fed.’ The student government is filled with leaders with the network and ability to advocate on behalf of the student body for changes to the institution that can, do, and will affect us all. Students should use the SGA as a resource, and join us in making a better NIU.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.