Students take precautions in highway safety

By Wendy Arquilla

Following the tragic incident involving Tammy Zywicki, the 21-year-old college student whose body was found last week, police are warning other students to be cautious while driving on the highway.

Zywicki disappeared while traveling alone on Interstate 80, a rural stretch of road that many NIU students use to get to school. Hearing this, the DeKalb Police Department is taking extra precautions.

Unfortunately, incidents like the Zywicki case are happening more often. “Crimes like (highway kidnappings) are on the rise,” said Lt. Charles Kross of the DeKalb Police Department. “Most victims are either found dead or never found.”

Kross offered safety precautions drivers should take to protect themselves.

First, he said it is important for drivers to notify someone before leaving on a long trip of their destination and estimated arrival time.

He also said it is important to notify someone of possible mechanical problems and, if there is an unusually long delay in arrival time, the proper authorities should be contacted.

Kross said there are also certain things that should be kept in every car to ensure safety in case of an unexpected emergency. He said motorists should always have flashlights and flares in case of car trouble.

CB radios or car telephones are also smart items to have on hand for those who often travel long distances, he added.

Kross said for personal protection, tear gases, such as mace, are legal in Illinois and are recommended in case of an attacker.

In addition, there are “spot-checks” people should do before traveling long distances. Bill White, owner of the Car Hospital in Sycamore, said hoses, belts, car lights and signals should be checked periodically.

He also said items such as a good spare tire, car jack and a lug wrench should also be kept in a car. White also suggested a tune-up every 30,000 miles.