NIU faculty to nominate student laureate

By Pamela Moeller

Faculty members must pick their favorite topnotch student for the 1992 Lincoln Academy Student Laureate award.

The Lincoln Academy is an Illinois honorary organization based in Springfield. The academy honors graduating seniors from Illinois colleges and universities each year on the basis of academic standards, extracurricular activities and service to the community and university.

The student laureate is selected from NIU seniors, who have been nominated by faculty members. Nomination forms can be picked up in the honors house until Oct. 7.

NIU Honors Program Director Jeff Chown said the award selection committee looks for “a well-rounded individual who represents the university well.”

“(It’s an) honorary award for one of the most distinguished graduating seniors from NIU,” Chown said.

A subcommittee of the NIU scholarship committee selects the honored senior. After reviewing nomination forms, the subcommittee conducts meetings and interviews with the candidates, Chown said.

NIU’s winner will be honored in November with other student laureates from Illinois colleges and universities.

A luncheon and reception will be held for the winners at Governor Jim Edgar’s mansion in Springfield. Edgar then will speak to the winners.

Each winner also will receive a $150 check and a Lincoln Academy medallion.