Flu season 2021: Where to get a flu shot in DeKalb

Northern Star File Photo

A flu shot clinic in the Duke Ellington Ballroom will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday.

By Ariel Morris, Reporter

DeKALB —  Flu season is upon us and due to the spread of COVID-19, experts suggest it’s even more important to receive the flu shot this year.

Now since the spread of a new variant, “Mu,” experts recommend that taking the seasonal flu vaccine is best for everyone’s’ health and safety to prevent from being exposed to other viruses, such as influenza.

The Dekalb County Health Department has teamed with NIU to host two flu shot clinics in the fall. The clinics will take place in the Holmes Student Center, in the Duke Ellington Ballroom on Sept. 22 and Oct. 12. An appointment is required before arriving at the clinic. Those who intend on getting vaccinated at the clinics are expected to wear a face mask upon arrival. 

Students, dependents of covered state employees and retirees will need to bring a copy of their health insurance card to give to the DeKalb County Health Department. Medicare eligible people should bring a copy of both cards. People covered under the State of Illinois insurance do not need to bring their card or a copy.

Flu shots are also given at Walgreens, 100 W. Lincoln Highway,  CVS, 1022 W. Lincoln Highway, and at the Dekalb County Health Department, 2550 N. Annie Glidden Road. 

The flu shot is now highly recommended with the spread of  COVID-19. The flu shot prevents future illnesses that could lead to hospitalization.