Egyptian Theatre to host month-long horror film series

Ashlie+Amber+will+perform+her+show+%E2%80%9CAshlie+Amber%3A+I+Will+Always+Love+You%E2%80%9D+at+7%3A30+p.m.+on+Nov.+18.+

Northern Star File Photo

Ashlie Amber will perform her show “Ashlie Amber: I Will Always Love You” at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 18.

By Madelaine Vikse, Editor-in-Chief

DeKALB The Egyptian Theatre will host a horror film series featuring one film every Tuesday leading up to Halloween.

The films played as a part of the horror film series include “Poltergeist” this Tuesday, “Gremlins” on Oct. 5, “Misery” on Oct. 12 and “The Shining” on Oct. 19.

The selected films will be shown on what is the largest movie screen in all of DeKalb County, according to the Egyptian Theatre’s website.

“Poltergeist” was written by Steven Spielberg, Mark Victor and Michael Grais. The film follows a family when ghosts appear in their home, and eventually, their youngest daughter ends up missing. The 1982 film was the first of the series, followed by two sequels and a 2015 remake of the first film. 

The 1984 film “Gremlins” takes place in fictional town Kingston Falls and follows a bank teller who ends up with a strange new pet. After mistakenly violating rules he is unaware of, Kingston Falls ends up being rampaged by mischievous creatures. The set for “Gremlins” and film “Back to the Future” are the same, both having been filmed in the Universal Studios backlot, according to IMDB

Based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, “Misery” is a psychological thriller about an author who finds himself stranded due to a car crash and ends up being held captive by deranged fan Annie Wilkes. Annie is played by actress Kathy Bates, whose performance is outstanding.

Also based on the Stephen King novel, “The Shining,” directed by Stanley Kubrick, follows a married couple and their son as they decide to stay in an isolated hotel in Colorado. Things quickly take a turn when the hotel is found to be haunted and Jack Torrance, played by Jack Nicholson, starts to lose his mind.

The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. 2nd St., is thought to be haunted, and the theater’s website has a section where they track and provide evidence of alleged paranormal activity.

Showings will start at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for students who provide an ID, $8 for those 65+ and any friends of Egyptian Theatre staff can receive $2 off, according to the Egyptian Theatre’s website.

To contact the Egyptian Theatre, call 815-758-1215 or email [email protected].