Corn Fest offers adult races, ‘Diaper Derby’

By Kevin Lyons

The 10th Annual 10K Run and 2K Walk/Run, otherwise known by locals as “Chariots of Corn,” will kick off at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday.

The race will begin at DeKalb High School, located at the corner of South Fourth Street and Barb Blvd. Runners who have not pre-registered by Friday still may register at check-in time at 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

As an incentive, pre-registered runners will be eligible for door prizes including a fax machine. Runners may register at the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce, 127 Lincoln Hwy.

Registration fees are $12 for the 10K race and $9 for the 2K race.

The 10K race is a TAC (The Athletic Congress)-certified course. It is a national race and number 17 circuit of the Starved Rock Runner’s Limited, said Rosemarie Ostberg, publicist for the Corn Fest race.

Ostberg said the course is a very safe and enjoyable one. There usually have been about 300 runners, including many NIU students, she said.

The Corn Fest Race director is Alicia Cosky, who also is the associate director of Recreation Center.

The 2K Walk/Run will start at 8:35 on Saturday at DeKalb High School. “It’s a very popular family event,” Ostberg said. Wheelchairs and strollers also are welcome.

At 9:30 a.m., the little sprouts can get in on the corn racing action at the Diaper Derby and Toddler Trot in the DeKalb High School gym.

The entry fee for the Diaper Derby and Toddler Trot will be $3.