Apartment fire leaves dog dead, causes $30K in damage

DeKalb+Fire+Department+vehicle+drives+down+Lucinda+Ave.

Northern Star File Photo

DeKalb Fire Department vehicle drives down Lucinda Ave.

Gabriel Fiorini, News Reporter

DeKALBA Dekalb woman’s dog died as the result of an accidental kitchen fire on Wednesday, according to a DeKalb Fire Department news release.

Heavy black smoke began billowing out of a third-floor apartment unit at the Amber Manor Apartments on Ridge Drive.

The Dekalb Fire Department responded to an alarm at 3:38 p.m. by dispatching a battalion to the fire’s location and evacuating lower portions of the apartment building. 

Firefighters from Battalion No. 1 searched for victims and further fire damage in adjacent apartments. Although the fire was successfully contained to the resident’s apartment and no fire extension was found. 

Dissipated units were able to extinguish the fire within 30 minutes of arrival after using fire extinguishers and eventually deploying the fire hose.

Two dogs were found following the search inside the woman’s apartment. One dog was successfully resuscitated by a lieutenant but the other was found deceased.

The apartment unit was declared uninhabitable and the Dekalb Fire Department estimates that the fire caused $30,000 in damage.