OCR offers summer canoeing excursion

By Philip Dalton

The Office of Campus Recreation is offering students a chance to get away from it all during the summer break.

OCR is sponsoring a canoe trip through northern Minnesota. The trip will be held at the Boundary Waters Canoe Area which is renowned for its clear lakes and waterfalls, as well as abundant vegetation and wildlife.

Ray Cramer, an NIU graduate teaching assistant who is organizing the event, said the trip provides a “real wilderness experience.”

The trip will consist of two groups with eight participants per group. Cramer said the trip will emphasize group living and minimum impact camping. The trip offers an excellent opportunity to get away from DeKalb, he added.

Dave Craig, a graduate teaching assistant who is also organizing the event, said the trip has been very popular in previous years. The trip covers some “pretty wild territory,” he added, and the group expects to observe wild animals such as moose and bear.

The trip costs $180 which covers transportation, leadership, and canoe rental. An important organizational meeting will be held tonight at 9 p.m. and will be held at the Office of Campus Recreation. If further information is needed, students can call Ray Cramer or David Craig between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. at 753-0205.