SA fills positions, reacts to proposal

By Megan Knowles

Two executive Student Association positions were filled at the SA meeting Sunday.

SA President Preston Came recommended to the senate names to fill two vacant positions. Lance Schart resigned as election commissioner last week and a seat on the SA Supreme Court was vacant after a justice graduated. The senate approved both of Came’s recommendations. Mary Sindelar has been appointed the new election commissioner and Carson Holloway has been appointed the new election commissioner and Carson Holloway has been appointed the fifth justice.

In other business, Came asked for the senate’s reaction on the proposed Campus Life Building. The proposed building, previously called the Student Life Building, now would have room for academics, but some campus organizations would have a reduction in space. The senate still does not support the building.

Student Regent James Mertes discussed the upcoming April 16 Board of Regents meeting. Mertes said the BOR will discuss a tuition increase. An exact increase is not known yet but Mertes said the increase is approximately 10 percent.

Mertes added that the $15,000 allocated for the attorneys at Student’s Legal Assistance has been freed up. Mertes said he is also working on moving the tow attorneys from an independent contract to a university employee contract. He said the change is for IRS purposes and is in its final stage.

The following supplemental budgets were passed:

· OCR: Requested: $1,700, Approved: $1,700

· Resident Hall Association: Requested $750, Approved: $500

· SA Minority Relations Committee: Requested $649, Approved: $649

· CAB Conference Midlevel: Requested: $600, Approved: $600

· CAB Summer Programming: Requested: $600, Approved: $600

· Gay/Lesbian Union: Requested: $2,3196.95, Approved: $2,3196.95

· New Student Welcome Days: Requested: $350, Approved: $350

· Bowling Club: Requested: $300, Approved: $300

· SA Student Committee On Financial Aid: Requested: $30, Approved: $30