Park District offers activities

By Carol Ekstrom

NIU students staying in DeKalb this summer can take advantage of the activities the DeKalb Park District offers.

Hopkins Park Pool Manager Steve Sherrill said the pool is the most popular attraction for college students.

“The reason we are so popular with college students is because we have a sun deck with over 200 lounge chairs,” he said. “The pool also offers adult swimming hours every morning.”

Sherrill said the pool opens May 30, and season pool passes go on sale May 1. The cost for the season is $30 for DeKalb residents.

DeKalb Park District Program Director Gloria Oesterling said they offer a variety of dance classes, including ballroom dancing.

“We are also offering a new dance class this year for people who are already familiar with ballroom dancing but need a refresher course,” she said. “This class would be perfect for people who are going to a wedding or high school reunion this summer.”

Registration is taking place now for the men’s, women’s and co-ed softball leagues that will be offered this summer. Oesterling said NIU students are encouraged to join, as they are a part of the DeKalb community also.

DeKalb Park District Superintendent Gordon Hadley said there are many bike paths and nature trails to explore in DeKalb.

“We have a bike path that starts in Hopkins Park and follows the Kishwaukee River through town,” he said.

Hadley said Huber Park, located on Annie Glidden Road and Clifford Drive is a park set aside for a bike path and a nature trail only.

Hadley also said they will continue the Tuesday evening summer concerts given at Hopkins Park. The concerts will start in early June and are held at 8 p.m.

“The city band plays every week, and they feature a different performer at every concert,” he said. “Last year we had vocalists and pianists that performed with the band.”

adley also said that many of the parks throughout DeKalb offer tennis and basketball courts.