Summer program offers credit abroad

By Michelle Esposito

NIU students have the opportunity to travel to Cambridge, England this summer for academic credit.

English Professor William Williams said “British Literature and British Studies” will be offered this summer, but it is not the first time students have had the chance to study abroad in Cambridge. “It has been running since 1970,” he said.

Anne Seitzinger, assistant program coordinator of International and Special Programs, said the program runs from June 5 to July 13.

“This program is being done cooperatively by the International and Special Programs Office and the College of Liberal Arts,” Seitzinger said.

She said each summer about 30 students are able to go on the trip and receive graduate or undergraduate credit in either economics, political science, history or English.

The program is open to any student who has an interest in the departments offering credit. The cost is $3,725 which includes housing, transportation and meals, Seitzinger said.

Students will stay in residence halls at St. Catherine’s College which is part of Cambridge University, she said.

Classes meet Mondays through Thursdays, leaving Fridays open for field trips, Seitzinger said. She said students will have the opportunity to visit nearby countries.

“The program is very popular and has always been a success,” Seitzinger said.