Ask Madelaine: Response to Alexis

May Taing

Illustration design courtesy of May Taing.

The topic for this week’s advice column focuses on childhood friendships that have not continued into adulthood and what to do when you want to reconnect.

I want to reach out to my elementary school best friend, but I’m worried our life paths have taken us on different routes. How do I reach out to them without being/making things awkward?

Alexis

This actually happened to me within the past four months. My childhood best friend had to move during our first year in middle school, and we didn’t end up keeping in touch. In high school, we became friends on Facebook and caught up a bit. It was nice to talk to each other again and see what we were both up to, but the conversations were short, and we didn’t end up making any plans.

Right before this fall semester started, the individual messaged me and asked if I would want to meet up in person sometime soon to catch up. When I saw that, it immediately put a smile on my face because we hadn’t spoken or had an in-person conversation in so long, and it made me happy that even after all these years, we could still reconnect with each other.

I’m telling you all of this because I feel like it can be easy to overlook or forget how strong some friendships were after some time has passed. No matter how different both of you may be, or how different your lives may be now, many individuals truly have a special place in their heart for their childhood best friends. 

In the end, you should reach out to your elementary school best friend. Try messaging them over Facebook, Instagram or wherever you feel most comfortable and tell them that you wanted to reach out and see if they would want to talk or meet up.

The reason it may seem as if reaching out could end up making things awkward is probably just because it has been so long since you both have communicated with each other that you are unsure of what to expect and unsure of what kind of mindset they are in. Your elementary school best friend could be feeling the exact same way, and if not, that doesn’t mean they would not want to talk. The worst that can happen is that they say no, and even though that would suck, you wouldn’t be wondering anymore, and you’d know that you tried.

To submit a question, topic or advice, submissions are taken at the “Ask Madelaine Advice Column” section of the website.

• Members of NIUs School of Theatre and Dance pose across a stage. The Spring Dance Concert is the last show of the SOTDs 2023-2024 production season. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

Entertainment

Spring Dance Concert leaps into action

• DeKalb Scene

Check out football, dance this weekend

• Alexa Flores (from left), a junior communications major, Alondra Duenas, a senior communications major, and Ashley McNamara, a senior health sciences major, sit in the Founders Memorial Library. As finals week approaches, utilizing good study habits is important. (Brynn Krug | Northern Star)

Lifestyle

Tips for crushing finals

• A tree stands in front of Blumen Gardens. Blumen Gardens is a flower shop and wedding venue in Sycamore. (Tamya Burch | Northern Star)

DeKalb Scene

Flower shop blooms unions

• A poster for the Spring Dance Concert hangs in the Stevens Building. This will be the School of Theatre and Dance’s last show of the 2023-2024 production season. (Brynn Krug | Northern Star)

Entertainment

Spring Dance Concert begins Thursday

• Characters from the upcoming Star Wars game talk to each other. Ubisoft released a cinematic trailer for Star Wars Outlaws on April 9. (Ubisoft under Fair Use)

Entertainment

‘Star Wars Outlaws’ fantastic or flop

• Actor Henry Cavill attends the premiere of The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, at AMC Lincoln Square, Monday, April 15, 2024, in New York. Both The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and Abigail succeed at being fun cinema. (Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP)

Entertainment

‘Abigail,’ ‘The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare’ master fun cinema

• Sarah Marsh, a sophomore communications major, walks near the East Lagoon. With the chaotic weather of spring, students should dress in layers to fit the changing temperatures. (Brynn Krug | Northern Star)

Home Center Feature

Dressing for chaotic weather

• Singer Peso Pluma stands in front of a white background. Peso Pluma will perform at the Latin American Music Awards Thursday. (Latin AMAs 2024 Virtual Press Room)

Entertainment

Latin American Music Awards take place Thursday

• Buddy, a 1-year-old domestic shorthair cat, sits inside a cubby. Buddy is available for adoption for $75.00 at Tails Humane Society. (Courtesy of Tails Humane Society)

DeKalb Scene

Tails’ Buddy ready to be your feline friend