Committee outlines reallocation of funds

By Brian Slupski

The reallocation process that started at NIU early this semester is picking up steam.

The Academic Resource Advisory Committee asked all NIU academic offices and colleges to identify 5 percent of their fiscal year 1992 budget for reallocation.

Associate Provost Lou Jean Moyer went before the committee Thursday and stated which programs or activities the 5 percent could be extracted from, and which programs or activities should be considered for reallocation and enrichment.

Moyer had to identify $150,443 of general revenue funds for reallocation.

She identified cuts of five full- and part-time employees totalling $59,800 and the elimination of funding to “New Student Welcome Days” for $6,800.

Also, she recommended the elimination or reduction of funding to the Committee for the Improvement of Undergraduate Education faculty grants totalling $43,355, and a reduction of money available for faculty assessment, travel assessment and grants of $13,363. About $17,000 will come from money earmarked for the purchase of a computer system.

Moyer also presented possible measures for raising revenue. These included an application fee of $30 for students applying to NIU.

“NIU provides an awful lot of services to people who never attend NIU. This is not a good way to use general revenue funds,” Moyer said.

Moyer said NIU had a fee in the 1970s, but it was eliminated because the money went to the state making NIU essentially a collection agency. This fee, however, would be kept in a local account.

Presently NIU receives and processes 22,000 applications, of which 5,000 students end up attending NIU.

A second revenue-raising measure Moyer presented was to charge for undergraduate catalogs. NIU students and faculty would receive free copies. However, complimentary catalog giveaways would end. NIU currently gives away 23,500 catalogs.

Moyer also presented fee ideas consisting of a $1.50 assessment fee in evaluating teachers, and $1 fee for students wanting unofficial transcripts.

For programs to develop or enrich, Moyer presented a proposal for the development of an advisement center for students. Moyer said around $186,000 would be needed to get the program off the ground, and that it would provide guidance to students without majors.

A second plan would provide $500 stipends to faculty who teach ICPS 101. Presently the instructors who teach ICPS 101 donate their own time and effort. For 15 sections, the stipend would total $20,000.