CAB searches for student coordinators

By R. Scott Lohman

The Campus Activities Board is looking for a few good men and women to be coordinators of various CAB committees.

CAB is accepting applications from any NIU student to fill sixteen empty committee coordinator positions, said CAB President Jennifer Spaulding.

CAB will hold internal elections April 3 through April 15 for several committee coordinators, including advertising, concerts, special events, public relations, Unity in Diversity, Cine Club, recreation and travel, she said.

Students interested should have a “volunteer attitude and time. No programming experience is necessary,” Spaulding said. “We also encourage people to bring their ideas, energy and creativity.”

CAB is an “excellent way to be involved in the community and the university,” she said.

Vice president of CAB programming and activities Kier Harris said that CAB is a good opportunity to “have a voice in programming, get hands-on experience and meet a lot of people.”

Homecoming coordinator Russ Swain said, “CAB is a fun group which has a purpose. I would recommend it to anyone,” he said.

Swain added that “the CAB needs people from every aspect of life.”

CAB also accepts volunteers at any time of the year, including the summer, Spaulding said.

Those interested in being committee coordinators should contact the CAB office in the lower level of the Holmes Student Center by this Friday. Anyone with questions can call 753-1580.

CAB is responsible for most of the entertainment for NIU students. They sponsor both the weekend popular movies in the Student Center as well as the Cine Club movies.

Also, CAB puts on many events during Homecoming week and organizes Springfest, which features many activities and performances by bands. CAB also brings top-name bands and smaller groups to campus for performances in the Duke Ellington Ballroom and Diversions.