SA passes resolutions on judicial code, geese

By Jayna Ronayne

The Student Association passed two resolutions Sunday concerning the judicial code amendments and geese removal on campus.

The senate first endorsed their support for the judicial code amendments, a proposal which was sponsored by SA Speaker Michael Starzec and Sen. Paul Middleton.

The purpose of the endorsement resolution was to show SA Senate support of student Regent James Mertes’ judicial code amendments to the University Judicial Advisory Board.

“Now when I present it to the board and University President, I have the whole senate’s support,” Mertes said.

The second resolution dealt with the issue of the geese removal by the University Campus Environmental Committee.

Starzec read the resolution to the senate, stating that the senate believes the geese should stay on campus and be protected while they are here, and that they disagree with the committee’s “brusque and uncaring” decision.

Another big topic at the meeting was SA President Preston Came urging senate members to take part in “We’re Not Gonna Take It!”, the name used for the March 19 protest at the Board Of Regents meeting.

Came said although there is a lot to protest, he has decided to focus on the issue of students’ inability to complete their education in four years.

“A student coming in (enrolling) now has little or no chance of graduating in four years,” Came said. “I went to La Tourette, who said students don’t want to graduate in four years anyway, but I said I disagree.

“The university is not telling students and parents the truth, and we want the BOR to know we’re ticked off about it,” he said.

Came also said that SA Academic Affairs Adviser Amy Kise officially has resigned due to both an Internal Affairs Committee investigation of her and health problems.

“We have no intention of filling her position,” Came said.