Groups reach out to aid NIU student

By Jayna Ronayne

Editor’s note: This is the second in a two-part series on Bob Jordan. Today’s article deals with getting more people involved in his campaign.

The Student Association and Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity are reaching out to more than just the NIU campus for help in raising money to help Bob Jordan.

Jordan needs $150,000 for a pancreas transplant in order to stop the effects of neuropathy, nerve damage as a result of diabetes.

SA Public Relations Adviser Rebecca Bahr said the whole idea behind the “What About Bob?” campaign is to reach as many people as possible.

“We’re basically just trying to spread the word,” she said. “The more one on one we have, the better it is for Bob.”

Steve Parsons, Alpha Kappa Lambda philanthropy chairman, said many local businesses have helped out placing ads on fliers.

“We’ve had $100 donations from Lukulos and Competitive Edge, $50 donations from PJ’s Red Hots, Bahama Bronze, Saucy’s and Sports Of All Sorts, and Copy Service printed the fliers up for free in exchange for an ad,” Parsons said.

Parsons also said the main idea all along was to branch out to the Chicago area in order to raise the money Jordan needs.

“Bob wrote to Bob Greene (columnist for the Chicago Tribune) but he didn’t get a reply,” Parsons said. “Now we hope we have a chance, especially because there was a thing about the basketball game trying to raise money for Bob in the Chicago paper.”

Jordan also has tried to help out on campus, Parsons said.

“Bob’s a Spanish teacher, and he offered to teach classes for free, but the administration for some reason rejected it,” Parsons said.

“I have him for Spanish, and as a student, I can honestly say it’s a fun class, he’s a great teacher and he’s a funny guy.

“Only about 340 students showed up at the basketball game for Bob, and we needed 2,000 in order to get the money,” Parsons said.

“We’re not trying to be negative on students,” he said. “But we need participation from everyone to reach our goal.”