Black Heritage Month begins with ceremony

By Brenden Walz

NIU began its first week of events of Black Heritage Month by recognizing the people who work on a daily basis with students, administrators and faculty.

The Black Graduate Student Association held a ceremony and reception for African-American faculty and staff on Monday.

The BGSA recognized seven professors and administrators, including Barbara Henley, vice president for Student Affairs; Dr. Irene Johnson, assistant dean for the NIU Graduate School; Dr. Admasu Zike, assistant professor and director for the Center for Black Studies and Van Anthony Amos, program coordinator for the Center for Black Studies.

Also, the ceremony recognized Lyndon Perkins, assistant to the dean, NIU Graduate School; Sinamenye Mutima, an instructor in the foreign language department and Willard Draper, assistant director of Housing.

Several other events are planned for the rest of the week, including several speakers and panels.

The theme for this year’s celebration is “The Afrocentric Mind: Redefining Negritude.”

Among the events will be a forum titled “Afrocentricity vs. Eurocentricity,” which will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Illinois Room.

Also on Tuesday, comedian Mario Joyner will perform at 7:30 p.m. in the student center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

On Wednesday, TV host Merri Dee will be at NIU. She will hold a question and answer session at 4 p.m. in the Center for Black Studies, followed by a lecture at 7:30 p.m. in the student center’s Illinois Room on the topic “The Significant Role of Blacks in the Media.”