SA to discuss senators’ removal, clause

By Megan Knowles

The removal of two Student Association senators is among many topics of discussion for Sunday’s SA meeting.

The SA will discuss the athletic board student representation proposal. The proposal provides students with a vote for student athletes to serve on the athletic board.

“Previously, these representatives were appointed by University Council,” SA Vice President John Quilico said.

Quilico said the proposal calls for the election to be monitored by the SA elections commissioner.

“We’re removing two senators who failed to show up this semester,” Quilico said. “These are Rich Schulte and Rachel Zilka,” he added.

SA Senate Speaker Michael Starzec said the senators will be replaced and two more names will be brought up for approval.

“We have a veritable plethora of backup senators just waiting for jobs,” Starzec said.

The SA might discuss a clause of the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 1991 that could directly affect students.

“If you default on a student loan, you can be garnished for 10 percent of your wages without ever being summoned for court,” Quilico said.

“This has serious, serious ramifications for students as potential borrowers,” he said. “The public needs to be aware of this,” he added.