SA asks for student support in blood drive

By Jayna Ronayne

Starting today, the Student Association is asking for students to show their support and donate blood at the blood drive.

The blood drive will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room and continue tomorrow at the same times, but in the HSC’s Heritage Room.

Like last year, a competition for the most donors from one organization has been arranged.

“We’ve had a good response,” said Rebecca Bahr, SA Public Relations Adviser. “There are 15 organizations that have actually turned in schedules.”

Bahr also said the goal of 240 donors “won’t be a problem” because of greek support and the other organizations that plan to participate, but kept their schedules.

“The greeks and all the other campus groups are also eligible for the prize package we’ve put together,” she said.

The “prize package” consists of a complementary ad in The Northern Star, a free booth at “Taste of NIU” (a $10 value) and a large gold-plated plaque from Heartland Blood Centers, recognizing that organization for outstanding community service. Heartland Blood Centers sponsor all blood drives on campus.

“We are trying to make it one of the largest blood drives ever,” Bahr said. “The fact that we pull in people from so many organizations shows there is support out there.”

The largest blood drive at NIU had 297 donors and last year’s had 227.

“Last year only nine organizations and some greek houses participated, but not to the extent we’re doing it,” Bahr said.