La Tourette to address budget concern

By Jami Peterson

NIU President John La Tourette will be letting students and faculty know Tuesday where the budget stands.

A “State of the University at Midyear” address, open to everyone, will be presented by La Tourette at 4:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

La Tourette said he will discuss plans for the next two fiscal years “to meet a possible base budget reduction, to generate salary increments, to strengthen academic and support programs and to respond to an emerging statewide focus on quality and productivity.”

The speech, a result of a statewide budget cut which grabbed $2.6 million from NIU’s budget, will be letting worried faculty and students know where the money is coming from.

Faculty Senate President J. Carroll Moody announced the upcoming address at Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting. “The purpose (of the speech) is to discuss plans for the budget,” he said.

Moody said La Tourette also will discuss, among other things, “salary increments” and “equality and productivity” at NIU.

An across-the-board $150 salary increment has been given to all faculty members in an effort to offset health insurance

increases.

La Tourette last spoke on the budget situation in his “State of the University” speech on Aug. 22, which started off the fall semester.