Get into the Huskie spirit with ‘Yell Like Hell’ homecoming event

Yell+Like+Hell+homecoming+event+will+be+held+in+on+Oct.+3+in+the+Duke+Ellington+Ballroom.+

Getty Images

Yell Like Hell homecoming event will be held in on Oct. 3 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Yell Like Hell, an annual cheer competition, is coming back to NIU on Oct. 3 to help kick off homecoming week at 8 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom, located on the main floor of the Holmes Student Center. 

The location moved from the Carl Sandburg Auditorium according to Aubrey Hense, co-event coordinator and acting director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, due to spacing concerns with the stage.  

The planning and organizing of this homecoming tradition is a very collaborative affair. Hence works with the Campus Activities Board and campus organizations to get involved in homecoming activities and festivities. 

“It is kind of an amateur, quote-unquote amateur, cheer competition,” Hence said. “The teams will create cheers and dances and all of that stuff and then we do have judges.” 

Hence explained that participants will be choosing their own music for the event. While team sign-up is currently closed, she encouraged students to come out and support their favorite teams and get into the Huskie spirit. 

“It is a lot of fun, homecoming is a really fun time on campus,” Hence said. “There’s a lot of excitement and fun to be had. Whether it’s at events like Yell Like Hell or A Night at Holmes or the Waka concert this weekend, or any of those things, there’s just a lot happening, there’s just a lot to do.”

Student involvement also has other fun and engaging activities planned for homecoming, starting off with the Waka Flocka Flame concert at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Holmes Student Center.