NIU inducts 13 into Athletics Hall of Fame

Mingda Wu

Inductees of the Athletic Hall of Fame lining the stage at the end of the ceremony. The NIU Athletics Hall of Fame induction ceremony took place on Friday night at the Duke Ellington Ballroom as part of NIU’s 115th Homecoming celebratory activities. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU Athletics enshrined another group of Huskie legends for the first time in three years at the 2022 NIU Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Friday.

The COVID-19 pandemic put a hold on all induction ceremonies for the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame. The inductees were selected in 2021, but the ceremony was not able to be held until this year. This year’s class was also larger due to the postponement of the 2021 ceremony, according to an NIU Athletics news release.

The 2022 class included nine individual inductees and four families. Individual inductees included Thomas Hammock (Football, 1999-2002), Amy Foulke (Volleyball, 1990-93), Chandler Harnish (Football, 2008-11), Kristin Hoffman (Volleyball, 2008-11), Sandra Lutz (Field Hockey, Softball and Volleyball, 1966-70), Scott Simon (Baseball, 2003-07) and Chad Spann (Football, 2007-10), according to NIU.

Two of the individual inductees were not former student-athletes. Robert Collins served as an assistant coach for NIU’s men’s basketball team from 1986-89 and later returned as an administrator from 1992 to 2010. Rick Cerrone, an NIU alumnus who held various positions in Major League Baseball, was also inducted. Cerrone graduated in 1976 but began his sports media career working at the Northern Star, according to the Northern Star.

Four families were also inducted into the 2022 NIU Athletics Hall of Fame. The Barsema, Chessick and Yordon Families gifted NIU numerous buildings around campus. These buildings include Barsema Hall, the Kenneth and Ellen Chessick Practice Center, and the Yordon Center. The Rich Family supported NIU through the Rich Fund for Excellence and NIU student scholarships, according to NIU. The Rich Family also owns Rich Harvest Farms, home to NIU’s men’s and women’s golf teams, according to the Rich Harvest Farms website.

Cerrone worked as the director of media relations for the New York Yankees from 1996 to 2006. The organization won four World Series titles during his time with the organization. Cerrone said that he didn’t have to be playing sports to stand out in athletics.

“When I was a student, there was no NIU Athletics Hall of Fame because it didn’t start until 1978,” Cerrone said. “But if there was one, I would never have dreamed to be in it because I never threw a pitch or shot a basketball competitively. I found my lane, I did my job, and I did it at the highest level.”

Every inductee gave their own speech and spoke about their time at NIU. Hammock, a former running back for NIU from 1999 to 2002, rushed for 2,432 career yards. He finished his career as the seventh all-time leading rusher in program history, according to NIU Athletics. Despite having an accomplished career, Hammock expressed humble excitement about his induction.

“It’s a tremendous honor,” Hammock said. “It’s something I never thought about but certainly something I’m very excited about.”

Chandler Harnish, NIU’s former quarterback from 2008-11, was inducted in his second year of eligibility. Harnish led the Huskies to an 11-win season and a Mid-American Conference West Division title in 2010. He threw for 2,530 yards and rushed for 836 yards that year to break the then school record with 3,366 yards of total offense, according to NIU. Harnish believed that he earned his spot in the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame.

“I think a lot of people will look at my career as a huge success,” Harnish said. “But in the beginning, it was hard. There were some injuries and times I got benched. I really had to fight through a lot of adversity.”

Kristin Hoffman was a former volleyball standout for NIU. Hoffman ranks third in career assists in school history with 4,392 and was named to the All-MAC First Team as a junior in 2010. Her performances from 2008 to 2011 helped the Huskies reach the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years, according to NIU Athletics. The lessons and hardships at NIU helped shape Hoffman into the person she is today.

“I think a lot of how I operate now is due to my experience as a student-athlete,” Hoffman said. “You learn life skills, like failure and resilience. Those are things that helped me in my day-to-day work now as a lawyer.”

To learn more about the accolades and contributions of all inductees, please visit the NIU Athletics website.