Hockey drops heartbreaker in Kalamazoo

Braate’s shootout goal lifts Stallions over Huskies
Sophomore+forward+Evan+Rzeszutko+forechecks+a+Kent+State+defender+on+Sept.+16.+The+Huskies+fell+to+the+Golden+Flashes+by+a+final+score+of+4-3.+%28Courtesy+of+NIU+hockey%29+
Courtesy NIU hockey
Sophomore forward Evan Rzeszutko forechecks a Kent State defender on Sept. 16. The Huskies fell to the Golden Flashes by a final score of 4-3. (Courtesy of NIU hockey)

KALAMAZOO – A deke to the backhand and a top-shelf shot was the dagger that put NIU hockey (0-4-1) away in a heartbreaking 3-2 shootout loss to the Western Michigan University Stallions (2-4) Friday in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 

After five minutes of three-on-three overtime and a shootout deadlocked at one goal apiece, WMU sophomore forward Connor Braate roofed a shot past NIU freshman goaltender Caleb Cross in Round 5 of the shootout to win the game. 

“I thought we gave ourselves a chance to win, which was exciting,” head coach Brad Stoffers said. “But at the end of the day, we didn’t quite do enough – play a full 60 (minutes) – and ultimately get the job done.” 

OFFENSE COMES ALIVE

After scoring just two goals in 120 minutes last weekend, the Huskie offense matched that total in just over 30 minutes of hockey. 

Freshman forward Micah Maldonado sniped a shot from the left circle just under four minutes into the second period and sophomore forward Evan Rzeszutko scored to give NIU a 2-1 lead six minutes later. 

“We came out a lot harder,” Maldonado said. “Our systems in the O zone were a lot better. We were finding guys in the gray areas and just getting pucks on net.”

Though the team has had recent struggles offensively, Stoffers said the change that created the faster offense Friday came down to grittiness and better puck support.

“We had better urgency, we were winning puck battles – supporting much better,” Stoffers said. “I thought we did a little bit better job, especially in zone and on the forecheck, winning races to pucks which means we possess it more.”

PLAYING AHEAD

Rzeszutko’s goal gave NIU the lead in the second period, which was the first time the Huskies played with the lead since its home opener on Sept. 15 against Kent State. 

As a team that hasn’t found a win yet this season, Rzeszutko said learning how to play with the lead is crucial to breaking the early-season slump. 

“We don’t get ahead of too many teams,” Rzeszutko said. “When they tie it up with two minutes left in a period, it just kills us; and I’ll be honest, we did a good job bouncing back. I think our energy was alright after the goals, but we just can’t keep giving them things.”

With the lead, senior forward Matt Martin received a cross-checking penalty, and fifth-year defenseman Alec Porzondek took a 10-minute misconduct.

WMU took advantage of NIU’s lack of discipline, tying the game on a goal from sophomore forward Michael Stein, which stood all the way to overtime and the shootout. 

“It’s (playing with the lead) very important,” Maldonado said. “It’s just after goals and playing with the lead, we got to be disciplined. Tonight we weren’t. We took one while we were up there and we paid the price.”

REMATCH AROUND THE CORNER

The Huskies now look to Saturday’s rematch with the Stallions with redemption on their minds after a heartbreaking defeat.

“Chip on the shoulder,” Rzeszutko said. “We got to keep doing the things we can control.”

Saturday’s game will be a rare afternoon game, which makes the game a short turnaround for both squads.

Maldonado said the outcome will depend on which team can adjust to the earlier game better.

“Which team’s going to recover first,” Maldonado said. “We have a quick turnaround. So, whatever team recovers the best tonight (Friday) is going to have a better chance tomorrow.”

The Huskies close their series with the Stallions at 3:15 p.m. ET Saturday at Wings West Ice Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

The game will be streamed on the Stallion Hockey Club YouTube channel.