Volleyball routs Miami, moves to 3-games unbeaten

NIU discovers all-around success in sweep
From+left%3A+Graduate+outside+hitter+Katie+Erdmann%2C+junior+setter+Sophie+Hurt%2C+junior+middle+blocker+Charli+Atiemo%2C+graduate+student+outside+hitter+Isabelle+Percoco%2C+junior+outside+hitter+Nikolette+Nedic+and+sophomore+middle+blocker+Savanah+Brandt+switch+sides+after+winning+the+second+set+of+Saturdays+volleyball+match+between+NIU+and+Miami+University+at+Victor+E.+Court.+The+Huskies+defeated+the+RedHawks+to+complete+a+weekend+sweep+of+Miami.+%28Josephine+Dunmore+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Josephine Dunmore
From left: Graduate outside hitter Katie Erdmann, junior setter Sophie Hurt, junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo, graduate student outside hitter Isabelle Percoco, junior outside hitter Nikolette Nedic and sophomore middle blocker Savanah Brandt switch sides after winning the second set of Saturday’s volleyball match between NIU and Miami University at Victor E. Court. The Huskies defeated the RedHawks to complete a weekend sweep of Miami. (Josephine Dunmore | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU volleyball remains undefeated in the confines of Victor E. Court after a series-ending performance that saw the Huskies firing on all cylinders.

The Huskies (5-11, 3-1 MAC) slammed the door on the visiting Miami University RedHawks (4-12, 0-4 MAC) with a sweep, 25-16, 25-18, 25-21, in Saturday’s series finale at Victor E. Court. 

Graduate outside hitter Katie Erdmann said the team’s sweep should serve as a statement.

“We came into this weekend, I think, with the idea that we had something to prove,” Erdmann said. “That Bowling Green (State University) wasn’t this shot in the dark that happened, we earned that win, and that we are underdogs in a conference, that we’re trying to prove ourselves.”

NIU outplayed its visitors in nearly every phase of Friday’s match, leading the day in kills, attempts, assists, service aces and team blocks.

Erdmann’s 11 kills led the Huskies while junior middle blocker Charli Atiemo had a team-best block assists with one solo blocks. Junior libero Crew Hoffmeier logged 11 digs. Junior setter Sophie Hurt recorded 21 assists.

SERVING UP SUCCESS

NIU excelled in the serving phase with seven service aces while only permitting a pair from Miami’s side of the court – tied for a season-best mark for the Huskies.

“We did a lot of short serving,” said NIU head volleyball coach Sondra Parys said. “They did an awesome job executing it. I said to my staff, ‘this is the first time that I’ve been so confident with the team to give that zone over and over and over again, and why go away from something that’s working?’”

Erdmann topped the match with three service aces, a new single-game high for the Forreston native. Senior setter Ella Mihacevich tacked on her own pair of aces, the second moving her to 100 career aces.

DOMINEERING DEFENSE

The Huskie front row bullied Miami with 10 team blocks, five of which came in the opening set.

Atiemo said the team’s defensive drive stemmed from the desire to put Miami away swiftly.

“I think we all came in knowing last night was five sets,” Atiemo said. “We wanted to do it quickly tonight and do it in three (sets), and just that energy from the team really carried through.”

After taking each of the first two sets by seven or more points, NIU endured its closest-fought battle in Set 3. The MAC foes tied seven times in the frame, ending with a 20-20 that NIU employed a 4-0 run to break from. 

Atiemo once again scored the match-winning kill to complete the shutout of Miami.

CLIMBING THE CONFERENCE LADDER

The weekend sweep boosts NIU into the upper half of the MAC standings at No. 6. Miami falls to No. 10, sitting among the three MAC squads still winless in league play.

NIU will head back on the road for a two-day stretch in Ohio, facing Ohio University at 6 p.m. CT Thursday and Kent State University at 5 p.m. CT Friday. Thursday’s matchup will be streamed on ESPN+, and live statistics will be provided on StatBroadcast