A week of favorite artists, No. 1 picks

Northern Star File Photo
Spotify logo on a computer with a blurry background.

Nick’s picks:

1. Bob Dylan – “I Was Young When I Left Home”
  2. Bob Dylan – “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right”
  3. Bob Dylan – “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”

Any music critic worth their salt will sing the praises of Bob Dylan – and most of them will sing better than he did. What Dylan lacked in vocal stamina, he made up for with some of the most true writing that has ever existed. First released as a bootleg tape recorded in 1961, Dylan’s “I Was Young When I Left Home” hits at the small-town folk that was his start. A deep cut that was only officially released with the release of “No Direction Home,” a documentary about Dylan, the track has the storytelling ever-present in his work. The ringing guitar line illustrates the story that Dylan pens about a young person who is strapped for cash trying to get home. The narrator quickly realizes that they “can’t go home this way” and starts to look back on a wild childhood that he misses. In the last verse, Dylan quietly lets out “I don’t like it in the wind / I wanna back home again / But I can’t go home this way.” A heartbreak of youth and homesickness, “I Was Young When I Left Home” stands as one of Dylan’s ultimate works.

Just a few years later on his second record, “The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan,” Dylan penned “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right.” While the song in its entirety is amazing, the last verse is one of the best I can ever remember hearing. While most people think “I give her my heart but she wanted my soul” is the standout line, that couldn’t be further from the truth. The lines “I ain’t sayin’ you treated me unkind / You could have done better but I don’t mind / You just kinda wasted my precious time” are so badass and easily out rank any other line in the song. Dylan writing about heartache may not be my favorite form of Dylan; but, no one can say that he isn’t absolutely great at it (P.S. To all the “Don’t Think Twice” fans out there, I highly recommend the Billy Strings version, it’s such an interesting take on it). 

Of course, if you’re talking about Dylan, you have to bring up one of his epics. For a while, my two favorites were “Shelter from the Storm” and “Desolation Row,” but “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” has to take the cake now. The song’s slow churn of lyrics with Dylan’s patented draaawn out draaawl, each vowel taking over the song for its brief moment. The track is a waltz, a rarity for Dylan. Rumored to be about his wife Sara Lownds – which could easily be read as Lowlands – the song is ten minutes of Dylan at his most poetic, plus a minute of Dylan with a harmonica. The organ in the background, played by Al Kooper, adds infinite layers to the track. I can’t explain this song to you; but, I can tell you that, if you lay on your bed and let it envelop you, this song will transport you somewhere unimaginable. 

Eli’s picks:

1. Touché Amoré – “Flowers and You”
  2. Touché Amoré – “New Halloween”
  3. Touché Amoré – “Reminders”

The first time I heard Touché Amoré’s album “Stage Four,” it almost felt voyeuristic, as though I was looking in on a deeply private moment. The album follows the raw, unfiltered emotional grieving process frontman Jeremy Bolm experienced after his mother died of cancer. The opening track, “Flowers and You,” is a confrontational reckoning with that grief. In the chorus, Bolm acknowledges and comes to terms with the guilt he felt during her illness with the lines “I apologize for the grief / When you’d refuse to eat / I didn’t know / Just what to say / While watching you / Wither away.” Musically, the song jarringly pounces back and forth between clean post-punk tones reminiscent of The Cure and melodic, aggressive post-hardcore. This polarity in the track’s composition feels symbolic of the waves of mixed emotions felt through during the grieving process, geniously complimenting Bolm’s confessional lyrics.

“New Halloween,” the second track on “Stage Four,” continues to explore the painful feelings of guilt expressed on “Flowers and You.” After Bolm screams “Somehow it’s already been a year / You keep finding new ways to make yourself reappear / I hope you never leave me be / I haven’t found the courage to listen to your last message to me,” the song concludes with an actual voicemail from his mother. While the sampling of voicemails in the intros and outros of songs is a frequently mocked trope of the emo genre, this is one instance where it is truly effective, tying together the devastating lyrics that preceded it.

Touché Amoré’s latest album, “Lament,” feels like a rejuvenating fresh start coming off the heels of the intense “Stage Four.” The album is the band’s most musically diverse and emotionally varied release yet. While its melodic hardcore roots still shine through in each of the album’s tracks, the band’s previous post-punk influences increase on “Lament.” The song “Reminders” manages to blend these influences with the kind of infectiously catchy pop-punk that dominated the 2000s. While still deeply emotional, there is a noticeable glimmer of hope in Bolm’s lyrics that was largely absent on the previous album, with the chorus “I need reminders of the love I have / I need reminders, good or bad” demonstrating an initiative to maintain a positive, balanced mindset and to let go of the insecurities that were weighing him down.

Tamya’s picks:

1. Taylor Swift – “I Almost Do (Taylor’s Version)”
  2. Taylor Swift – “Peace”
  3. Taylor Swift – “Champagne Problems”

“I Almost Do” perfectly captures the essence of where Taylor Swift was in her career at the time. On the cusp of breaking free from her country mold to pop stardom, “I Almost Do” is on her last official country album, “Red.” The song is a heartbreaking ballad with touches of pop and country influences. When I first heard this song, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites. The desperation of feigning for an ex lover is perfectly meshed with captivating drums and angelic adlibs that keeps the listener hooked for all four minutes.

“Peace” is on Taylor’s eighth studio album, “Folklore.” The song gives an intimate look at Taylor’s relationships and how her media perception affects them. Hearing the first notes to the song always makes me feel warm inside. With the lyrics “Would it be enough if I could never give you peace?” Taylor uses this song to take a nose dive into the indie genre. She uses a stripped down production that is quite unfamiliar in Swift’s catalog. Instead, she chooses a breathy melodic whisper over the gentle strum of an electric guitar. This song is both poetic and heartbreaking.

“Champagne problems” is my favorite Taylor Swift song. The pacing of the song instantly transports you into the story. The ballad flows with the rushes and excitement of an engagement gone wrong: “Your heart was glass, I dropped it / Champagne Problems.” But, the lyrics also encapsulates the feeling of knowing when a relationship has run its course. I am able to relive the story with every listen. Her lyricism allows you to watch the song take place in your head. This song on a rainy day in the fall is exactly what you need for a good, sad drive.

Jonathan’s picks:

1. Michael Jackson – “Butterflies”
  2. Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean”
  3. Michael Jackson – “Off the Wall”

Anyone who is the child of someone who was around during the ‘70s or ‘80s will most likely know of the artist Michael Jackson. Some of his songs such as “Thriller” and “Bad” are well-known even among the current generation and are still played today. However, there are some pieces of his work that aren’t as well known yet just as good. Starting off with “Butterflies,” the song has an obvious yet relatable meaning for anyone who has experienced love. The lyrics describe how passionately Jackson feels about a certain someone, and the slow rhythm of the song enhances its chill nature and makes it easy to learn the lyrics just by listening.

The next song “Billie Jean” was released on January 2, 1983, and has quite the origin. The lyrics are about how a woman, in this case “Billie Jean,” claims she had the child of the narrator which he denies to be true. The inspiration for the song was based on fans who made claims about his brothers when he used to sing with them, according to americansongwriter.com. The song’s chill and groovy beat can easily make anyone start to dance or nod their head without even realizing. In a sense, the song could be seen as a warning of just how frightening popularity can be. 

Lastly, we have “Off the Wall” which is a fan favorite of many for a few reasons. The song’s lyrics have a fairly simple meaning and are about maintaining a positive attitude in life and learning to enjoy things. The song has a medium-fast pacing that makes it very satisfying to sing along if you know the lyrics which also flow extremely well off of the tongue. The lyrics “So tonight, gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf / And just enjoy yourself / Groove, let the madness in the music get to you / Life ain’t so bad at all” are  not only somewhat inspirational but also just good lines.

Sarah’s picks:

1. Olivia Rodrigo – “the grudge”
  2. Olivia Rodrigo – “get him back!”
  3. Olivia Rodrigo – “lacy”

Olivia Rodrigo released her sophomore album “GUTS” on Sept. 8 and continued her streak of producing heartbreaking, relatable songs. “the grudge” is one of Rodrigo’s ballads that takes on a soft, melancholic tone. The song is talking about someone who hurt and betrayed Rodrigo, and she is holding a grudge against that person for the damage they did to her heart. When listening, it’s easy to imagine a past lover, ex-friend or parent when the lyrics “And I know, in my heart, hurt people, hurt people / And we both drew blood, but, man, those cuts were never equal” are solemnly sung. 

Rodrigo’s song “get him back!” is an upbeat, punk song that takes on a double meaning. She sings about a boy who did her wrong and how she wants to get revenge on him for how he treated her. But, as the chorus starts, listeners hear “I wanna make him really jealous, wanna make him feel bad / Oh, I wanna get him back / ‘Cause then again, I really miss him, and it makes me real sad” which implies that Rodrigo also wants him back as her boyfriend. This song is perfect for anyone going through a breakup and who is going back and forth on the good and bad moments with their past partner. 

Very few songs feel like poetry come to life for me but “lacy” feels like a masterpiece of a song that was written in another time. Emotions such as envy and inferiority are heavily emphasized here, with Rodrigo singing about a girl who she feels has everything. She describes Lacy and how she has ribbons in her hair, skin the color of puff pastry and the fact that she radiates innocence and sweetness. Throughout the song, the lyrics are sung with a sad tone; but once the outro hits, audible anger is in Rodrigo’s voice, and that emotion misplaces the sorrowful inflections.