Jamestown pounds hockey, penalty issues persist

Huskies remain winless after Jamestown thrashing
Courtesy NIU Hockey
Freshman forward Micah Maldonado takes a faceoff during NIU hockey’s game against the University of Jamestown on Oct. 13. Jamestown defeated the Huskies 7-0. (Courtesy of NIU Hockey)

WEST DUNDEE – The officials opened the penalty box door and pointed to the locker room where freshman forward Micah Maldonado was being told he had to watch the remainder of the scoreless game. 

Maldonado’s head contact penalty was the beginning of NIU Hockey’s (0-7-2, 0-3 MCH) collapse, as the No. 7 ranked University of Jamestown (4-2, 4-1 MCH) opened the goal-scoring floodgates during Maldonado’s 5-minute major en route to a 7-0 victory. 

“Played a top-10 team 40 minutes, didn’t give up an even-strength goal,” head coach Brad Stoffers said. “Maybe got a little bit ahead of ourselves. I wouldn’t say cocky but started thinking like we maybe had it (the game) figured out and just lost it in the third.”

BEGINNING OF THE END

The Huskies stuck with the powerhouse Jimmies through the first half of the game, battling to a scoreless tie. 

Maldonado’s penalty opened the door for Jamestown to finally break through, scoring two goals in the first minute of the major penalty to take a lead they didn’t relinquish.

“It (Maldonado’s penalty) stopped the momentum,” fifth-year defenseman Alec Porzondek said. “Gave them an extra guy out there for five minutes. So, that just opened up things for them, made it easier for them to pass the puck around, which made it difficult on us. And they cashed in on two (scoring) opportunities.”

Stoffers expressed his frustration that his team gave an already highly skilled Jamestown squad an easy opportunity to get ahead in a game still within reach.

“It’s a five-minute power play. You’re playing against a good team,” Stoffers said. “You’re never going to beat a team with less guys on the ice – especially a good team.”

CROSS SHINES AGAIN

Freshman goaltender Caleb Cross started again for NIU, marking his fourth start in the last six games. 

The Huskies were pinned in their defensive end for most of the game, allowing 39 shots to reach Cross through 40 minutes. Cross only allowed two goals – both power play goals – in the first two periods to keep NIU within striking distance. 

“Phenomenal,” Stoffers said. “His (Cross) potential is unbelievable. Just every game he’s played so far, he’s kept us in it (the game). He’s unbelievable.”

Jamestown peppered Cross with 54 shots through 60 minutes and didn’t muster an even-strength goal until early in the third period. 

Cross was unfazed by the championship-caliber reputation that follows the defending Midwest College Hockey champions. 

“Same mindset as every other game,” Cross said. “If you change your mindset, you’re going to psych yourself out. So, come in every game same as always.” 

Cross denied 47 of the 54 shots he faced. 

Cross said facing a high quantity of shots started to wear on him as the game progressed. 

“Your legs just hurt and get sore,” Cross said. “All of a sudden, you can’t move as well as you can. So, got to fight through that.” 

SILVER LINING

Playing a strong game against a top-10 opponent has given the Huskies confidence despite the lopsided final 20 minutes. 

Porzondek said those first 40 minutes should show the team is growing and that they are better than its record shows.

“We can actually play with some of the top competition in the country,” Porzondek said. “We just got to keep our heads and … doing the right things and not worry about if we make a mistake. That’s what hockey is about is making a mistake. And if you capitalize on your opportunities, it will go in your favor.”

The Huskies have another shot at Jamestown at 5 p.m. Saturday at Canlan Ice Sports in West Dundee. 

The game will be streamed on the NIU Hockey YouTube channel.