Rojek’s career performance earns Huskie of the Week honors

Ria Pathak
Senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek’s 11-save performance boosted NIU men’s soccer to a postseason win and helped him earn his first Huskie of the Week honor. (Ria Pathak | Northern Star)

A career-high 11 saves on Sunday and a 9-save performance on Wednesday has earned senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek his first career Huskie of the Week honor. 

Rojek recorded 20 saves over his last two games, both of which were against Bowling Green State University. Over the past two games, Rojek has faced a combined 41 shots from the Falcons.

In a must-win game in order to earn a postseason berth, Rojek recorded 9 saves that pushed the Huskies to a 2-1 win. He faced 9 shots on goal, and saved all of them. 

In the quarterfinals of the MVC Tournament, Rojek was called upon early. He saved a penalty kick in the 12th minute of the match, and kept the Falcons scoreless until the 81st minute. His performance led the Huskies to another 2-1 victory. 

Rojek now has 75 saves and 21 goals allowed in 13 games in front of the net. 

Rojek and the Huskies will face the Western Michigan University Broncos at 1 p.m Wednesday in Kalamazoo, Michigan, at the WMU Soccer Complex in the semifinals of the MVC Tournament.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Oct. 30 to Nov. 5.