Virus invades NIU, sickens students

By Tricia Roegner

If you have been feeling a bit under the weather lately, you definitely are not the only one on campus.

Complaints ranging from scratchy throats, fevers, runny noses and headaches have been heard from many NIU students during the past week.

Rosemary Lane, director of the University Health Center, said she has seen an increase in the number of students coming into the center during the last few weeks, but also said this was normal for this time of the year.

“We usually see an increase in the number of students during the second and third weeks of school for many different reasons,” Lane said.

Students returning to NIU from many different geographic areas is one reason for the spread of different viruses, Lane said. These students bring back infections with them, which are rapidly spread throughout the student population, Lane said.

Other reasons which might cause one to catch a virus include not getting enough sleep, not dressing properly and changing weather conditions which are typical for this time of the year, said Michael Haines, coordinator of Health Enhancement Services.

“Warm, humid air usually is susceptible to spreading airborne bacteria and viruses,” Haines said. “Living in close quarters such as residence halls and apartment buildings also is a hospitable environment for disease.”

Sophomore Mary Matan said she has experienced symptoms such as a scratchy throat, runny nose and feeling feverish for about a week.

“More than half of the people that live on my floor have been sick all week,” Matan said.

The fastest way to get better after you get the virus is to rest as much as possible, Lane said. She also said that old fables such as drinking different types of alcoholic beverages to get rid of viruses are not true.

“The consumption of alcoholic beverages tend to paralyze the cells that are responsible for eating the germs which are causing the virus,” Lane said.