NIU track and field wins two events at Cyclone Open

DeKALB – NIU women’s track and field team finished its day at Iowa State with wins in the 200-meter dash and high jump, while also taking four other top five finishes. 

Senior Malia Watkins earned NIU’s first top finish of the day, taking first place in the 200-meter dash. Watkins finished the race one-hundredth of a second faster than Iowa State sophomore Rachel Joseph, winning the race with a season best time of 24.59 seconds. 

Freshman Arianna Calloway was the second Huskie to earn a first place spot, as she jumped 1.78 meters in high jump. Calloway narrowly missed her career best jump by .02 meters, which was recorded in December at the Blue and Gold Invitational at Notre Dame. 

Junior Kamiya Dendy finished just behind her teammate, Calloway, in the high jump, tying for second place with a jump of 1.62 meters. The Auburn transfer competed in her first high jump with the Huskies this weekend.

Senior Kendall Only earned her second straight second place finish in the triple jump, jumping 11.36 meters. University of Missouri, Kansas City senior McKenzie Pearson beat Only with an impressive jump of 11.63 meters. 

Junior Roshell Rowe finished in fourth place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.79 seconds. Rowe finished one-tenth of a second behind University of Missouri Kansas City’s freshman Teresa Thomas, who had a time of 57.69 seconds. 

NIU’s 4×400 meter relay team earned another second place finish for the Huskies. The team consisted of Rowe, Watkins, senior Skylynn Blue and freshman Olivia Dixon. The relay team finished with a time of 3:56.12, 11 seconds behind first place Iowa State. 

“This competition was about gaining confidence and making progress and the athletes did just that,” said Director of Track and Field Connie Teaberry via NIU Athletics. “I’m proud of all their efforts. As we continue to gain our strength, speed and endurance from the winter break, the athletes have an understanding of what these early meets are meant to be.”

The Huskies will return to action on February 2 and 3 for the Meyo Classic in South Bend, Indiana at Notre Dame.