Al-Ashari lands Huskie of the Week honor after bars victory

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows NIU senior gymnast Alyssa Al-Ashari as the Huskie of the Week. Al-Ashari’s career-best bars routine have allowed her to become the first NIU gymnast to receive Huskie of the Week honors. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A first-place bars routine and season-best finish in Tennessee have enabled NIU senior Alyssa Al-Ashari to become the first NIU gymnast to capture Huskie of the Week honors.

Al-Ashari championed the bars at Friday’s Tennessee Collegiate Classic with a 9.925, tying her personal best on the event. The Lansing, Michigan, native also turned in a 9.850 – tied for her season-best – while anchoring the balance beam.

“It’s awesome when these guys can get nominated for stuff like this,” said NIU gymnastics head coach Sam Morreale. “And then actually to win, it’s even a better indication and a better show of the type of student-athlete she (Al-Ashari) is.”

Al-Ashari’s event-winning bars score is tied with freshman Dawsyn Sallee’s 9.925 on floor exercise from the same meet for the highest score by a Huskie on any event this season.

The Huskies return to action at 2 p.m. Sunday as they host Central Michigan University and Eastern Michigan University for their home opener at the Convocation Center.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on Jan. 29.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Jan. 15 to Jan. 21.