Watkins runs away with Huskie of the Week honors

A graphic shows senior Malia Watkins as the Huskie of the Week. Watkins took home a first-place finish for the 60-meter dash at the ONU Invite on Friday with a time of 7.59 seconds. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A first-place finish in the 60-meter dash and a new personal best at the ONU Invite ensured senior Malia Watkins as this week’s Huskie of the Week. 

Watkins won the 60-meter dash on Friday at Olivet Nazarene University, with a winning time of 7.59 seconds. Watkins outpaced her teammate, senior Skylynn Blue, by two-tenths of a second in order to secure the win. 

The Maryland native’s previous personal best was 7.61 seconds, set in her first meet with NIU at the Jimmy Grant Invite on Dec. 11, 2021.

The Huskies will return to action on Feb. 2 and 3 for the Meyo Classic in South Bend, Indiana at the University of Notre Dame’s Loftus Sports Complex. A live stream will be available via ESPN+ and live stats will be available Endurance Race Timing.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on Feb. 5.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Jan. 22 to Jan. 28.