Latino Resource Center hosts arts and crafts fiesta

Isabel Cambray
Two multicolored bracelets sit side by side on a table. On Tuesday, the Latino Resource Center hosted a Valentine’s arts and crafts event for students. (Isabel Cambray | Northern Star)

Valentine’s Day isn’t just about showing love to your significant other, it’s about friendships as well. Creating art for others shows the appreciation you have for them because of the time and dedication you put into making something for them. Whether you are making art for a significant other, friend, family member or a furry friend, what matters is that you are sharing love with someone and that’s important.

Several students attended the Crafty Valentines event presented by the Latino Resource Center. Students were able to sit down and make different arts and crafts. Many activities were presented to students such as creating aromatherapy heat bags, friendship bracelets, paintings and cards. Activities were displayed to students so that hands-on participation was encouraged. 

To create an aromatherapy bag students filled a canvas bag with rice and inserted drops of essential oils of their choice to create a smell unique to their liking. Some of the scents available were lemongrass, orange, lavender and peppermint. There was a sign with suggested scent combinations for those who were unsure which scent to choose and recommended amounts. The listed scents also had  For example, some of the scents were listed as meditative and relaxing.

Students were also able to make friendship bracelets. Different types of colored beads and strings were provided along with string to customize their bracelet. 

What once seemed like a quiet get-together then turned into a crafting fiesta. Some students came together in groups and others came alone but soon they all made small talk with each other and discussed plans and intentions with the bracelets at hand.

“It’s for my significant other and I, and I had been to past CAB events so this isn’t my first time making bead bracelets,” said Yvonne Montano, a freshman art education major. 

Joaquín Villa, a sophomore majoring in rehab and disability services, came to the event making bracelets for their friends.

“I didn’t tell them I was coming, since I wanted to surprise them,” Villa said.

Creating a bracelet could take as long as an hour but students came straight in and got to work. 

“I asked for their favorite colors, and then I based the bracelet off of that,” Villa said.

Painting on canvases and card making were also available for students to partake in. Not only were students there but some staff also joined in on the fun. 

If you’re looking for activities to participate in with your friends or if you’re looking to find and make some new friends check out and see what events they have going on at NIU.