Jones announced as MAC Co-West Wrestler of the Week

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Redshirt senior Jaivon Jones studies his Lock Haven University opponent at the Beauty and the Beast meet Friday. Jones was announced as the MAC Co-West Wrestler of the Week on Tuesday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

DeKALB Redshirt senior Jaivon Jones was named MAC Co-West Wrestler of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday.

Jones pinned nationally ranked 149-pounder Nick Stonecheck in 2:22 at the annual “Beauty and the Beast dual” on Friday. Jones improved to 11-4 overall and 5-2 In the MAC.

Jones was selected as the No. 30 149-pounder in the coaches’ poll and No. 24 in the WrestleStat rankings.

Jones is the second NIU representative to receive the award in February, following redshirt sophomore Jacobi Jackson who received honors on Feb. 6

NIU wrestling sits atop the MAC West division with a 6-1 conference mark and improved to 12-2 overall following Friday’s home win.

The Huskies will finish out the regular season at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 with Southern Illinois Edwardsville rolling into DeKalb. Live stats can be accessed via Track Wrestling