Finegan outpaces the competition to earn Huskie of the Week

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows senior Julia Finegan as the Huskie of the Week. Finegan took home two top-3 finishes at the Redbird Tune Up on Saturday. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Senior Julia Finegan earned NIU women’s track second Huskie of the Week honor of the 2024 indoor season by winning the 800-meter run and taking third in the mile run. 

Finegan championed the 800-meter run at Saturday’s Redbird Tune Up with a time of 2:23.19. The Palatine, Illinois native dusted the competition, beating the second place runner and Eastern Illinois University’s freshman Isabel Arthur by 14 seconds

Finegan also took third place in the mile with a time of 5:11.52, 0.6 seconds ahead of EIU’s sophomore Rylea Borgic. 

This is Finegan’s first top-five finish at an indoor event of the 2024 season.

The Huskies’ will travel to Ypsilanti, Michigan on Friday for the MAC Indoor Championships. Live stats for the event will be available via Mile Split.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on Feb. 26. 

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Feb. 12 to Feb. 18.